Save the date: August 1-2, 2018
Open Educational Resources (OER) are gaining momentum in higher education. To build up regional partnerships and collaborations on OER, the first GWLA/Alliance OER conference themed “From Vision to Action” is here! If you are interested in or working on OER, please see more details and call for proposals below.
To receive news about the conference, please subscribe to the conference listserv.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
This conference is co-sponsored by the Greater Western Library Alliance (GWLA) and Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries (Alliance).
Call for Proposals
Call for Proposals: Deadline Extended to April 2, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Mountain Time
The Greater Western Library Alliance (GWLA) and Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries (Alliance) joint conference on Open Educational Resources (OER) in higher education will take place August 1-2, 2018, in Denver, Colorado. The conference theme is “From Vision to Action” and the call for proposals is open now through April 2, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Mountain Time.
The planning committee invites proposals from librarians, administrators, and all others involved with OER, for presentations or panels (45 minutes), lightning rounds (7 or 15 minutes), and posters.
- Presentations: 45 minutes. Please dedicate approximately 30 minutes to your presentation and approximately 15 minutes to discussion/questions and answers (throughout, or at the end of your presentation).
- Panels: 45 minutes. A multi-person panel presentation. Please dedicate approximately 30 minutes to your presentation and approximately 15 minutes to discussion/questions and answers (throughout, or at the end of your presentation).
- Lightning talks: 7 or 15 minutes. Discussion/questions and answers will follow the presentation of all lightning rounds, at the end of the session.
- Posters: Posters will be co-located, and presented concurrent with, a conference lunch and the exhibits. Posters may remain on display throughout the conference, however the conference administrators will not secure these items against damage, loss, or theft. Presenters are responsible for all set-up, removal, and shipping.
Presentation, panels, lightning rounds, and posters might address OER topics including but not limited to:
- Successful initiatives and programs: methods and results
- Flops and failures: lessons learned and suggestions for others
- Securing resources such as funding, additional staffing, and staff release time
- Identifying, engaging, and influencing partners and stakeholders
- Practical aspects of developing initiatives and sustaining programs
- Engaging students and student government/leaders
- State-level policies and legislation
- Overcoming challenges and obstacles
- Best practices, standards, and shared solutions for metadata and discovery of OER
- “Almost OER” hybrids that combine open and licensed content
- Demonstration (non-vendor affiliated) of tools/software/strategies to promote the uptake of OER on campuses.
- Submit your proposal through the submission form [http://newprairiepress.org/cgi/ir_submit.cgi?context=oer_fromvisiontoaction] by April 2, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Mountain Time.
- Proposed presentations/panel/lightning rounds/posters should relate to OER in the context of higher education.
- Proposals should be original: the presentation, panel, lightning round, or poster should not have been presented or published previously.
- Proposals should disclose any particular products or services that are integral to the content of the presentation. Presentations/lightning rounds/posters should not be used as a venue to promote or attack any product, service, or institution.
- Commercial product vendors are encouraged and invited to contact email@example.com to participate in the conference exhibits and to inquire about available conference sponsorship opportunities.
- Proposal abstracts for presentations and panels should not exceed 500 words.
- Proposal abstracts for lightning rounds and posters should not exceed 250 words.
- The following information is required by the proposal submission form, http://newprairiepress.org/cgi/ir_submit.cgi?context=oer_fromvisiontoaction: Presenter name(s), title, organizational affiliation, telephone number, and email. A proposal abstract of no more than 250 words (lightning rounds and posters) or 500 words (presentations or panels) that will be suitable for publication on the conference website if the proposal is accepted. Indication of the intended audience and outcomes.
Decisions, Accepting/Declining, Registration, and Attendance