Fifty Years Ago: The Nichols Gymnasium Fire
Fifty years ago, on the frigid night of Friday, December 13, 1968, Nichols Gymnasium erupted in flames. Firefighters faced 15 degree weather, insufficient water pressure and a stiff north wind as they tried to extinguish the blaze. The historic Kansas State University structure was reduced to a shell of walls, towers and a smoldering interior. The flames decimated the departments housed in the building at the time.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 License.
Hight, Cliff (2019) "Fifty Years Ago: The Nichols Gymnasium Fire," Kansas State University Libraries: Vol. 8.