Skip to main content
Browse the contents of 35th Academic Chairpersons Conference, Orlando, FL:
- Issues and Trends in Higher Education
- Exploring new and pressing developments in higher education including subjects like campus culture, diversity, new technologies, new interdisciplinary opportunities, impacts of the growth in distance education, economic stresses on the field, changing roles and demands, etc.
- Operating the Department
- Exploring the practical roles and goals of the department head, including subjects like assessment, budgeting, fundraising and grant writing, faculty searches and interviewing, faculty performance and review, strategic planning, curricular development and quality, navigating accreditation, legal issues, retention, external partnerships, etc.
- Leadership and Management
- Covering general leadership-focused presentations including subjects like work-life balance, career trajectory, managing stress, defining mission and values, effectively pursuing both scholarly and administrative duties, civic engagement, conflict management, building consensus, effective meeting leadership, delegating, etc.
- Keynote and Featured Presenters
- Working with Faculty and Administration
- Managing internal relationships with those you manage and who manage you, handling difficult people, maneuvering the university bureaucracy, working with adjuncts to tenured professors, negotiating for resources, etc.
- Special Focus: Assessment
- The 2018 conference will feature a special theme for assessment-related topics, such as using student learning assessment to improve programs and meet accreditation expectations, including using course-embedded assessments for programmatic outcomes, guiding faculty to take ownership of assessment processes, making accreditation expectations useful for the program, utilizing technology to collect and analyze data, addressing student learning in strategic planning, etc.